Can happiness increase my success?

By Marianne Renner, Leadership Coach, Speaker, Author

Answer: YES!

Research has shown that happy people are more productive and successful at work and in life. What’s more, happiness is proven to have a direct impact on blood pressure, anxiety, depression and how we approach stress.

Yes, it’s true! There really is scientific research to back this up. Harvard researcher and best-selling author Shawn Achor, states that happiness gives businesses and professionals an advantage to achieving greater success.

The good news is that, although everyone is born with a genetic predisposition to various levels of happiness, there are things you can do to elevate your happiness. Your degree of happiness doesn’t have to depend on what you’re born with or what circumstances may come your way.

Only 10% of one’s happiness comes as a result of external circumstances. The other 90% is internal. In other words, you can decide to be happy. All it takes is a little practice to develop new habits.

Here are three things you can do to increase your happiness, and increase success in business and all areas of your life:

  1. Gratitude. Each morning, write down 3 things for which you are grateful. This will have an immediate impact on your happiness and help you develop a habit of gratitude.
  2. Reframe your thoughts. We assign meaning to every circumstance in our lives, and we often develop habits of focusing on the negatives. In every circumstance, challenge yourself to ask, “what’s good about this situation?” Not only will this increase happiness, it also will help you solve problems and get better outcomes in difficult situations.
  3. Exercise. Creating a routine of regular exercise will automatically give you a sense of success, self-empowerment and elevated happiness.

I know, I know. You’ve heard it all before. Well, there’s a reason for that – it works! Seriously, if you start to develop habits in these areas, you will begin to see real changes in your life. Opportunities will begin to show up in your life: a promotion at work, new relationships, new clients, or new ideas for services and products to sell in your business.

Try it out. What have you got to lose?

Check out my free resource here to get tips on practicing happiness.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *